Happy Birthday, Canada! Today, you celebrate your 147th birthday!
And, America, your birthday is only a few short days away on July 4th, where you’ll be celebrating your 238th birthday!
|Founded||July 1, 1867||July 4, 1776|
Feb. 15, 1965
Jul. 4, 1960
|Flag Symbolism||• Red is the symbol of Canadian sacrifice during World Wars. White is the symbol of peace and tranquility, reflecting neutrality and impartiality of Canadians.
• Maple leaf began to serve as a Canadian symbol as early as 1700.
• The Canadian flag is sometimes referred to as the Maple Leaf flag or, in French, as L’Unifolié, which means “one-leafed”.
|• 50 stars represent U.S.A.’s 50 states and the 13 stripes represent the 13 British colonies that declared independence from the Kingdom of Great Britain and became the first states in the Union.
• Nicknames for the flag include the “Stars and Stripes”, “Old Glory”, and “The Star-Spangled Banner”.
|National Anthem||O Canada||The Star-Spangled Banner|
|National Day||Canada Day
|System of Measurements||Metric Units||Customary Units
(virtually identical to the British Imperial units with some differences)
|Continent||North American||North American|
|Coordinates||62.2270° N, 105.3809° W||40.0000° N, 100.0000° W|
|Regions||• 10 provinces
• 3 territories
|• 50 states
• 1 federal district (District of Columbia – Washington, D.C)
• 5 territories with commonwealth status
|Population||35 million||317 million|
|Land Area||10 million sq. km. /
3.85 million sq. miles
|9.6 million sq. km. /
3.7 million sq. miles
|Annual GDP||1,825,096 Million $||16,803,000 Million $|
|Kind of Government||• Constitutional Monarchy
• Federal (Federation)
• Parliamentary Democracy
• Federal (Federation)
|Federal Capital||Ottawa, ON||Washingon, D.C.|
|Elected Federal Government Official||Canadian Prime Minister:
– 1st: Sir John A. Macdonald (1867)
– Current: Stephen Harper
– 1st: George Washington (1789)
– Current: Barack Obama
Wishing you happy and safe national celebrations!
— — —
• Silicon Valley Loonies: Show Me the Money!
• Silicon Valley Loonies: Canadian and U.S. Statutory Holidays
• Country Economy: Gross Domestic Product (GDP) 2014
• Country Facts: Government, Economy, Demographics, Education
• Wikipedia: History of Canada | Languages of Canada
• Statistics Canada (StatCan)
• Wikipedia: History of United States | Languages of United States
• United States Census Bureau
• World Atlas: All Countries of the World Listed by Land Area