To follow-up on my earlier post “Bringing Your Car From Canada Down to the USA“, below are links we referenced when importing our vehicles from British Columbia, Canada to California, USA. Here, you’ll find a handful of references specific to British Columbia, California and Honda – hopefully they’ll give you a general idea on what to look for when searching for information specific to your vehicle and import situation.
U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP): Importing a Motor Vehicle
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA): Importing Canadian Vehicles
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA): Vehicle Importation and Certification Requirements
California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):
– How To Register A Vehicle from Out-of-State (Nonresident Vehicle): http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr9.htm
– Forms: http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/formsreg_alpha.htm
Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC):
– Moving: http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving AND http://www.icbc.com/autoplan/moving/moving-from
[ ICBC is a provincial Crown corporation established to provide universal auto insurance to BC motorists, driver licensing, and vehicle licensing and registration. ]
– VIN Recall and Product Update Lookup: http://www.honda.ca/recalls
[ Submit your vehicle identification number (VIN) in the form to lookup any outstanding recalls/updates that need to be serviced on your vehicle. This form only works for Honda vehicles that were manufactured for the Canadian market. ]
– Movement of Vehicles between Canada and the United States: http://www.honda.ca/owners/faqs/vehicle-movement
[ This article details articles that you will need to request from Honda Canada and Honda USA, plus manufacturer’s warrantee validity in the US. ]
– Change of Address: Refer to your Honda owner’s manual.
[ Your Honda dealership/service centre should have your updated address, and also notify Honda Canada of your change in address as well. Double-check that the latter has been completed by contacting the Honda Canada’s toll-free number detailed in your owner’s manual. ]